Hip Hip Hurrah! Today is #NationalWatermelonDay and nothing is sweeter than sharing a watermelon with a sister! 🍉🍉 This seeded fruit that is made up of 92% water is undeniably one of the most refreshing summer treats & picnic staple!
This vine-like flowering plant originally from southern Africa, was likely first cultivated for its ability to hold water in the desert. They can grow to be huge, have different colors on the inside but most importantly are sweet, refreshing, & crisp! Here are some fun facts you might not have known about watermelons:
- The Guinness Book of World Records states the heaviest watermelon weighed 268.8 pounds! The record was set in 2005 at the Hope Arkansas Big Watermelon Contest by Lloyd Bright!
- China grows more watermelon than any other country and it is very customary for guests to offer watermelons as gifts to their hostess.
- Watermelons are actually vegetables…. yes you read that right!!! It is related to the same family as pumpkins, cucumbers and squash.
- A watermelon will not grow in your belly if you eat the seeds. With high levels of magnesium, zinc and protein, the seeds are actually quite good for you!
- Americans eat more watermelon by weight than any other fruit… or vegetable?! Farmers in America grow more than 4 billion pounds of watermelon annually!!!
Our love for Watermelons here at JennaBenna & Co can be found in a few different Watermelon patterns that we have. Below are a couple of our favorite watermelon fabrics that we offer for your Sorority Letters!
We hope you enjoy this National Watermelon Day by snacking on a juicy slice of the fruit! If you happen to get a picture while in your letters, tag us @JennaBennaCo, and we will message you a special coupon code!