I LOVE a good sassy ponytail. I used to have hair down to my butt, and now it barely touches my shoulders. No matter the length of my hair, I always rock a sassy pony. It is my go to hairstyle, because I know it looks good on me. But, because I regularly have this hairstyle (yes, regularly, like 3 times a week MINIMUM!!!!!) it really bothers me when other people don’t properly style their sassy pony. I’ve been doing this look for multiple days a week, for about five years. That is 780 sassy ponytails! Minimum! So yes. I am qualified for this tutorial.
- Get that baby on the top of your head. If you were to put a princess crown on your head, it needs to be within that area. See where the crown is on Anne’s head? Your pony needs to be in the middle of that.
- TEASE IT!!! Oh Mylanta, I hate when I see an un-teased sassy pony. Grab a comb, and brush down towards your scalp. Get some volume, give that pony life. I also use this stuff called surf paste to help keep the volume. It is this thick paste for hair, that smells amazing, and it gives it a hold that keeps the tease. Hair spray works too.
- Loosen up the hair that isn’t in the pony, aka the hair touching your scalp. Make it look piece-y, and not like it’s been greased to your skull. I like to pull up strands every quarter inch (no, I don’t measure, but the width of my pinky is about a quarter inch, so it’s fine) to give it a looser, less done look. It looks more casual. You can also just loosen up the hair on your scalp, then pull the hair in your ponytail. This creates a similar look.
- This step is a take it or leave it step. For me, this step just depends on the day. But, I often pull a little bit of hair out of the pony and have it hand loose in front of my ears. If I’m going for a tougher look, I keep it back. If I’m going for a more laid-back look, I pull it forward. Really it is just all personal preference,
- Finally, just rock it. I don’t care what you’re pony looks like (kind of), as long as you like it, and you feel confident. That is what matters most.